The Slovenian Business & Research Association was one of 24 partners in the EU project CIMULACT. CIMULACT – which stands for Citizen and Multi-Actor Consultation on Horizon 2020 – it engaged citizens, along with a variety of other actors, in redefining the European research and innovation agenda and thereby making it relevant and accountable to society. The Kick Off meeting was held in Copenhagen on 29 September – 2 October 2015 and marked the official start of the CIMULACT project.
The project engaged more than 1000 citizens in 30 countries in Europe to formulate their visions for desirable sustainable futures, to debate and develop them with other actors, and to transform them into recommendations for future research and innovation policies and topics. By no longer reserving these questions for experts and policy makers only, CIMULACT made the building of the future more accessible by commonly sharing and discussing our visions for how research and innovation can take us there.
A multi-actor approach
CIMULACT was not only about citizens’ visions. It involved a large number of actors who also have an interest in the shaping of the future research agenda – the ‘multi-actors’. This group included policy makers, scientists, research communities, NGOs, and more atypical “challengers” such as designers, futurists, and technical developers. The input to the research agendas was created with all of them in a highly participatory process. Besides making real, validated and shared visions, based upon needs and demands, this process created dialogue and shared understanding between the different actors.
A new standard for citizen participation
CIMULACT stood out as a visionary project by inspiring the future research agenda and shaping it on the concerns about, wishes for, and visions of desirable and sustainable futures of citizens from 30 countries in Europe. The aims of CIMULACT continue beyond the end of the project, as it sets a new standard for public participation through development, testing, training and assessment of methods for citizen and stakeholder engagement. The participatory tradition is well established in some European countries, but not in all of them. By uniting partners from all over Europe, all aiming for the same high level of public participation, CIMULACT will build strong capacities in the field.
In short, CIMLUACT:
- Involved citizens in the actual formulation of the EU research and innovation agendas;
- Provided concrete and unique input to the identification of the future European research agenda by eliciting concerns about, wishes for and visions of desirable sustainable futures from 1000 citizens in 30 countries in Europe;
- Made the European research and innovation agenda relevant and accountable to society by engaging citizens, stakeholders and experts in co-creating research agendas based on real, validated and shared visions, needs and demands;
- Contributed to responsible research and innovation (RRI) in the EU by promoting the engagement and inclusion of the public in the identification of desirable sustainable futures;
- Set a new standard for public participation through the development, testing, training and assessment of methods for citizen and stakeholder engagement;
- Made the building of the future more accessible. It is no longer only a question discussed by policy makers and experts; it is a wider public conversation for a greater democracy.
The Slovenian Business & Research Association organized several workshops and an online questionnaire targeting Slovenian stakeholders. SBRA collected unique input from over 100 Slovenian citizens, which influenced the future of EUROPEAN RESEARCH and INNOVATION AGENDA! This was the most ambitious public participation project ever funded by the European Commission!
For more, go to the official website: www.cimulact.eu.
CIMULACT Brochure and Policy Briefs:
- CIMULACT Brochure
- CIMULACT Press Release
- CIMULACT Press Release No. 2
- CIMULACT Press Release 2018
- CIMULACT, Policy Brief, No. 1
- CIMULACT, Policy Brief, No. 2
- CIMULACT, Policy Brief, No. 3
- CIMULACT Newsletter, No. 5
- CIMULACT Newsletter, No. 6
- CIMULACT Newsletter, No. 7
- CIMULACT Video 1
- CIMULACT Video 2
- CIMULACT VISIONS Booklet
- CIMULACT Booklet - 23 Citizen-based Topics for Future EU Research
- CIMULACT Booklet - 179 citizen visions